I used to cut out the fabric using some scissors and a piece of paper cut to a specific size as a template. It was in no way accurate looking back at it now. To make the triangles, I'd fold the square of fabric from corner to corner and cut down the diagonal. Again, not really accurate.
I had no idea about fabric choices, color values, etc. Man if I knew then what I know now... There's a reason it's still a quilt top and not a finished quilt. I wouldn't know how I'd even quilt it now.
In this one, I didn't cut of the selvage and you can still see the holes.
And pretty much no corners match up...